Tuesday, August 9, 2011

My first genuine vintage dress...

On my quest to feed my thrift shop hunger a couple weeks ago, I wound up at an adorable little place called Wicked Thrift.  The name plays along with the Boston/Massachusetts tendency to say that everything is "wicked" ______ and then insert the word of your choice (ie: awesome, amazing, etc.)  Anyway, I've passed this amazing piece of property on various road trips throughout Cape Cod and finally took some time out of my crazy life to go inside, and boy am I glad I did!  We (my boyfriend and myself, I'll introduce his cute face later) drove around a lot when I first moved here, and still do, to find new and exciting things and places...and this shop is definitely the neatest of my finds!

Wicked Thrift circa 1892 (photo from Wicked Thrift blog)
This is what the property used to look like...how awesome is it?  A house, barn, and a windmill.  I believe today the windmill is no longer there but the rest looks the same except now it's painted all sorts of funky colors.  They do trading, which is something I hope to take part in in the future, allowing their prices to be extremely reasonable.  I believe it is a mother-daughter operation, which I adore, and they offer all things new and old; I obviously enjoyed the old the most!  I shopped around a bit and spotted this amazing 50's dress.  I have never really had one of those "made for me" moments but I can't really explain just how truly made for me it is!  I tried it on and it fit me like a glove and I knew at that moment I could not live without it so I purchased it without any look at the price tag.  (Thank goodness it was only around 20 dollars!)     

Amazing dress taken by an unamazing camera phone
Better pictures to come once my laptop is fixed =)

I was probably glowing as I checked out.  The nice lady at the register let me know that a girl had come in the night before just as she was about to close and tried it on but decided not to get it.  It was fate! I also scored a super cute 60's apron that I tend to find myself wearing around the house over the 50's slip I also found that day, all topped with bright red lipstick.  The damages totaled around 40 dollars but for all that I got I consider it a steal and I definitely intend to go back to Wicked Thrift.  Living in a tourist town (this I will touch upon at a later time as well), I have to admit I'm quite excited to go there in the off seasons so there's less shopping competition!   =)

4 comments:

  1. Hi!
    You have a pretty nice blog so far!
    I will be following you (; (that sounds creepy:p)
    I have a new blog myself, you can check it out if you want(:
    Have a nice day full of inspiration and cookies!

    Carmila Ponycat (pony-cat.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, thank you! (No worries, creepy is fine!) Any words of encouragement are much appreciated. Your blog is fabulous, I will definitely follow you =]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulatons on pur-chasing your first vintage dress. it's beautiful! I started collecting vintage dresses a few years ago and never wear them enough. When i do wear them I feel sooo special!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am really excited about it and have already worn it a bunch. I've got a ton of vintage skirts, tops and accessories but this was the first dress. I have a unique shape so it's really tough for me to find good vintage dresses. I definitely feel really special when I put it on..in fact I think I may wear it tomorrow =]

    ReplyDelete

Hi friend! Thank you so much for kind words; your feedback is really special to me =]