Friday, August 5, 2011

let chaos in...what's in a name?

Left wrist tattoo. 2010

I have to admit...I probably held off as long as I did on creating this blog not only because I preferred the written word, but because I felt such high pressure in naming it! Last year I successfully completed my bachelors degree at the Massachusetts College of Art (&Design...an addition to the name that I still have a hard time accepting!) in May.  It was a long four years of moving from one place to another, commuting from various locations, and just plain hard work.  Many ignorant folks think that art school is a joke and is more like a "4 year long summer camp" but they are very wrong.  The college experience for anyone in any field and any school is all what you make of it, so of course if you'd like it to be summer camp..by all means, camp it up!  I however, used every part of my body, mind, and soul to get that piece of paper and I'm proud of it (I only wish it would have been like summer camp). 

So what does this have to do with the name of my blog and the tattoo pictured above?  My freshman year I entered Mass Art thinking I was going to be a painter because that is just what I knew.  I was working on a painting about a controversial topic and was struggling to make it work.  I sat there and stared at this canvas forever.  My favorite professor at the time, Sharon Dunn, talked me through it and said..."Just let chaos in."  That phrase immediately stuck to my brain and any doubts that I had about going to art school and pursuing my dream went out the door; I was comfortable and I was ready to take on the chaos that was my brain and that was art school.  I swore to myself that I'd live by that and if I graduated I was going to permanently put it on my body and that's exactly what I did (pictured above). 


My messy loom. 2010


The chaos took hold and fiber and all it's goodness entered my world; amazing what paths lead you to another.  I've been playing with strings of all sorts ever since and I couldn't be happier!

Happy weekend friends!

2 comments:

  1. I love your title, there's something very honest about the expression. I myself have embraced that I function in an organised chaos. I try to be picture perfect and neat but it just doesn't lend itself to creativity...for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I think everyone could use a little organized chaos. I'm both very neat and all over the place. I love to organize and keep a clear space but I also love the way a heap of embroidery floss mixed with beads and fabric pieces next to a stack of jumbled embroidery hoops looks. It's all about balance! =]

    ReplyDelete

Hi friend! Thank you so much for kind words; your feedback is really special to me =]