Monday, August 15, 2011

spruce up your space

Adorable studio by Charm City Craft Mafia

If you're an artist/crafter/thinker like me then you value your work space more than anything.  Although I admit that I do work in various locations throughout the house, I have made a space that I consider to be my "studio."  This is the docking place for all my supplies, materials, sketch&note books, in progress pieces, and whatever else finds its way in there.  I've been looking at a lot of office/studio-esque space items now that I'm preparing for the arrival of my new computer.  =]  Here are some of my favorites (and yes most all of these items are from Anthro as you'll notice).

Pinwheel Push Pins from Anthropologie
These push pins remind me of my experimental quilting days when I would add these little shapes to anything and everything. I honestly think these win the award for cutest push pins ever.  They make me want to break out my bulletin board again!

Alphabet Stamp Set from Anthropologie
 I have been wanting an alphabet stamp set since as long as I can remember for any and all stamping needs.  I am one of those people that really loves the idea of pretty much every collection but I myself try not to have too many.  I love things..stuff..but I don't enjoy a lot of clutter so I maintain collections in my head.  This set is super cute and I'd definitely use it constantly if it were mine.

Flowering Twig Pencil from Anthro
Flowering Twig Pencil...for all your pencil needs!  Amazing how something as simple as a pencil can become a piece of art.  This is a piece I would love to throw into my "utensils" jar on my desk. It would certainly out-do all other utensils in there!  

Harvest Calender from Anthro
The designs in this calender are so sweet I can hardly take it.  I always look at calenders when I'm browsing through stores but I hardly ever purchase one and I'm not quite sure why.  This is one I would love to hang on my wall in my studio, it'd go perfectly with the decor.

Industrial Stitching Light from Anthro
 I am a huge fan of light...I can't get enough of it yet always seem to live in places where there isn't much of it at all.  Of course I always prefer natural light but sometimes you just need to make due with the cards that were dealt to you.  I'd happily satisfy my lighting needs with this lovely lamp.  I love the simplicity of it (in the past I've always had a hard time with color, getting better now, but I still enjoy muted and natural colors) and think it's amazing.

Woods Wallpaper from Anthro
I have a sight obsession with trees and roots and nature in general.  Growing up (and still to this day) I always associate the location of my mothers house with the two birch trees out front.  We're the only house on the whole street that has them and they're my favorites; I think sometimes I treat them like people.  Anyways, this tree wallpaper is so pretty.  I would love for this to cover at least part of the walls in my studio space.

Vintage Globe from UnExpectedParTie, Etsy
Ever since I was a little kid I wanted a globe.  I love the way they look more than anything and really just wanted/want one to stare at and admire.  I think it really adds something to a space, especially to a writing, reading, crafting desk.  This vintage globe is awesome and I hope to acquire one of my own someday soon.

Looking Back, Looking Forward Planner from Anthro
I'm a firm believer that everyone should carry around something to write/draw/scribble in.  You never know when you're going to have a thought and writing a note in your phone is just not the same at all.  Many people have lost the desire to hand write things and it's really sad.  I write notes and letters to the person I live, lame I know, but there's something special about the written word.  Each persons handwriting is unique.  I'd love to have this cute planner to keep with my notebooks on my desk.  

Sprucing up your space is a ton of fun whether it's making purchases like these or creating your own decor DIY style.  Happy sprucing! 

-mj




8 comments:

  1. I loved this post! I totally think about my workspace all the time, mainly because I don't have a studio or a real workspace right now, but I dream of having one someday, and when I do, your finds will have served as a huge inspiration.
    I totally agree that everyone should always carry a notebook! I do it, and I love every time I get a note from any friend (:
    Thank you for your lovely comment earlier!!
    -Sandra Ponycat

    ReplyDelete
  2. i would probably seel my soul for a studio anything like that one!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandra-I'm glad my finds have been a source of inspiration for your future studio! I have been lucky and for the past several years have either had a studio space in college or a special place set aside in the places I've lived. I bet once you have a space you'll make it look fabulous! In the meantime it's really fun to imagine the possibilities =]

    Claire-I would too! I'm thinking of trying to recreate those amazing push pins at home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool. I love your work space. Just enough clutter and plenty of color. Would put me in a creative mood I think.
    +followed

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely things! And I have such a thing for stamps too:)

    I wish people'd right more snail mail. So much more special than anything digital has ever provided.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elliot- Thanks for your kind words, I can't take credit for that studio...that unfortunately is not my space but it's really cute! Thanks for following!

    Night Owl-I miss snail mail so much! I want to start writing letters to people even if they're just across the city. I fear the children of the future won't even know how to write! So sad because it's such a beautiful thing. I need some pen pals for sure =]

    ReplyDelete

Hi friend! Thank you so much for kind words; your feedback is really special to me =]